Once again it is my turn to write for the ChristianWriters.com blog chain. This month – our topic is Leap, to celebrate the fact that 2012 is a leap year. Bring the 29th of February, that mysterious day that only comes once every four years.
When people hear a word like leap – something that often comes to mind is a leap of faith (at least amongst a bunch of Christian writers). We have already had a number of excellent articles on this topic. Life sometimes asks us to take the plunge and leap voluntarily into the unknown, but what about the times when a leap is almost forced upon us? Sometimes, when the ground is crumbling beneath us, and we’re seconds away from falling, there is really no choice at all, except to close our eyes and leap, believing that God’s arms are out there somewhere ready to catch us. Sometimes, these involuntary leaps are the hardest, and sometimes they are the ones that change us the most.
I’d like to introduce you to a little boy named Leo. He is only one year old. His parents were delighted to welcome him into the world. When Leo was 14 months old, he became very sick. He was quickly diagnosed with a cancerous tumour the size of a tennis ball in his tiny abdomen. Suddenly this happy family’s world was turned upside-down. They had to leave family, work, friends and a supportive church behind as they moved inter-state to Melbourne for medical treatment. They didn’t ask for this to happen and they had no choice but to jump.
The tumour itself was inoperable so the road ahead was lined with lots of unpleasant treatments. They had a difficult time ahead, but they leapt into the arms of God. Listening to their story is inspiring. They have been stretched and grown by God in ways that few Christians ever will be. They have developed a strong faith. They have had the opportunity to share the gospel with countless other families. There is a great hunger amongst parents of sick children for hope, and Leo’s Parents regularly find new friends who want to hear about God.
The band Spencer and Wilson have written a song about Leo, and are holding a special charity concert in Sydney during March. You can hear a little about this in the video below:
They will soon be able to return home to Tasmania, but even this will be a big step. Their house will need a lot of modification to make it suitable for a sick little boy who now has a reduced immune system from the treatments.
They never would have chosen this type of leap – but God has used it to do amazing things in their lives, and for that they are very grateful.
If you have been touched by the story of Leo, you can find out more about him on his Facebook page. A number of people have been making ‘Leo the Lionheart‘ toys to raise money to help support the family financially. You can buy one of these toys at CoolThings.com.au
The biggest gift you could give Leo and his family though, is to pray for them. Why not say a prayer right now?
Follow the chain
- 01/02/2012: Chris Henderson, TheWriteChris
- 02/02/2012: Lynn Mosher, Heading Home
- 03/02/2012: Bill Jones, I Was Thinking the Other Day About
- 04/02/2012: Scott Fields, Dead Man Writing
- 05/02/2012: Nona King, Spirit Driven Fiction
- 06/02/2012: Jacky Brown, JayBees Blog
- 07/02/2012: Tracy Krauss, Expression Express
- 08/02/2012: Terrie Thorpe, Light for the Journey
- 08/02/2012: Carol Peterson, From Carol’s Quill
- 09/02/2012: Chris Vonada, I’m Just Thinkin’
- 10/02/2012: Debra Ann Elliott, Words are Timeless
- 11/02/2012: Deborah K. Anderson, Faith, Fiction, and Unvarnished Truth
- 12/02/2012: Pegg Thomas, The Sheepish Scribe
- 13/02/2012: Cindee Snider Re, Breathe Deeply
- 14/02/2012: Suzette, Beautiful You
- 15/02/2012: Steve Olar, Snickerdoodles
- 16/02/2012: Edward Lewis, Sowing the Seeds
- 17/02/2012: Tanya Dennis, In the Dailies
- 18/02/2012: Traci Bonney, Tracings
- 19/02/2012: Mike Johnson, The College Field Manual
- 20/02/2012: Michael Galloway, Horizons
- 21/02/2012: Keith Wallis, wordsculptures
- 22/02/2012: Carol Peterson, From Carol’s Quill
- 23/02/2012: Nona King, Word Obsession
- 24/02/2012: Joseph Lalonde, Joseph Lalonde
- 25/02/2012: Adam Collings, The Collings Zone
- 25/02/2012: Pauline Creeden, Hosanna’s Christian Reader
- 27/02/2012: Israel Ikhinmwin, Education Made Easy
- 28/02/2012: CH Dyer, Thoughts and Visions
- 29/02/2012: Victor Travison, Lightwalker’s View
- 01/03/2012: Marilyn Life 101: Understanding It All